In the long, long list of exciting releases that are coming from the Galaxy Far Far Away, there is one story that we can’t wait for. While we do have some idea about the story or the characters from announced series like The Bad Batch, Ahsoka, or the much awaited Obi-Wan Kenobi, the details of The Acolyte, much like the Sith, is shrouded in mystery.
What do we know about the show?
The only clear details about this show is the premise, which according to Lucasfilm is “The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take viewers into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era.”
Leslye Headland, famously known for the TV series Russian Doll, will write, executive produce and serve as the showrunner for the series. In an interview, Lucasfilm CEO Kathleen Kennedy had mentioned that the show will have a female lead.
What does Acolyte mean?
”Acolyte“ was a rank within the Sith Order prior to Darth Bane’s reformation. This term was used to refer to Force-sensitive apprentices who had only just started on the dark path under the tutelage of a more experienced Sith Lord to rightfully bear the mantle of Sith.
When is it set in the timeline?
The timeline is a little difficult to get hold of, but we think we can narrow it down to somewhere around 50 or so years before the events of The Phantom Menace. You see, the High Republic Era was a period of time that lasted approximately 200 years between 300 BBY and 82 BBY. (For those who have a slightly less M-count, BBY stands for ‘Before Battle of Yavin.”)
So going by the Star Wars time calendar, The Phantom Menace took place in 32 BBY. Since The Acolyte will be during the final days of the High Republic we believe the events will be set somewhere around 50 years before we saw Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan land on the Trade Federation Battleship.
What we would love to see in The Acolyte:
- We don’t think there is a better opportunity for us to finally see Darth Plagueis on screen. Since the story is going to revolve heavily around the Sith and the powers of the Dark Side, we think Darth Plagueis and a young Darth Sidious will be there. Who knows, we might even get to see how Sidious betrays and kills his master in his sleep.
- The rule of two is one of the biggest mysteries of the Sith and this show could shed some light on that as well. Now we know that Darth Bane wasn’t around this time but we hope there might be flashbacks or visions of how and why the rule came into being.
- Sidious taking a young Darth Maul from Mother Talzin, leader of the Nightsisters of Dathomir.
- The protagonist going from planet to planet like Korriban, Exegol or other unknown regions of the galaxy in search for the secrets of the Sith and to enlighten her knowledge, only to join the Dark Side herself
- What if Sidious had to choose between 2 Acolytes? Since the Sith could have only one apprentice because of the rule of two, won’t it be crazy to see Maul and the lead of the show exchanging blows, unttil only one is left standing?
There are way too many theories and possibilities that this show can bring to the small screen and we are sure that each and every moment of this show will fill us with excitement. There is no official release date for ‘Star Wars: The Acolyte’ as of now but we will keep you posted as soon as we hear anything on the Darth Web.