The newest trailer for Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness has just been released, creating new speculation as to what this could mean for the MCU moving forward. Spiderman: No Way Home has already set the groundwork for Multiversal expansion and according to the new trailer, they intend to keep going bigger and bolder than ever before.
Multiverse of Madness inspiration
The title, being a spin on John Carpenter’s ‘In the Mouth of Madness‘, which itself is an interpretation of H.P. Lovecraft’s ‘At the Mountain’s of madness‘, we can assume that the film will be carrying at least a passing reference to Lovecraft’s works.
Shuma-Gorath, (now Gargantos) will appear as a villain. Though at a glance, it will most likely be a pawn exploited by Doctor Strange’s doppelganger.
Due to the nature of Lovecraft’s works, there is no better Director than Sam Raimi. Evil Dead II is a perfect example of a character that descends into madness, often with overacting (Spiderman 3 can also apply). It seems fitting that Raimi is returning to what many would consider the pivotal point of Phase 4, considering the impact that he had on Marvel with his Spiderman trilogy.
There has been many a guess as to who will appear in the new film. Already it has been confirmed by the trailer that Doctor Strange, Karl Mordo, Scarlet Witch and America Chavez will appear in the film. Though there are many rumoured characters that are likely to appear.
The big rumour swirling around is that this could be the introduction of Marvel’s Illuminati. Created by Brian Michael Bendis and Steve McNiven in 2005, the group was composed of Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Mister Fantastic, Professor X, Black Bolt and Namor the sub-mariner. While that is an impressive roster, it could also lead to a solo live action Planet Hulk movie (previously done in Thor: Ragnarok, but this time with more of a focus on Hulk).
The possibilities are endless
With the possible return of Patrick Stewart as Professor X and the rumor of John Krasinski playing Mister Fantastic, it’s a great time to be a Marvel fan. I’m personally looking forward to seeing which character’s they decide to bring back, introduce or revamp. The ones this writer would personally like to see introduced include:
- Jessica Jones and the Punisher from the Netflix series. Because if they’re going to put Daredevil in, then why not the others? Iron Fist and Luke Cage maybe not so much.
- Galactus, because I feel like he was done dirty in 2007’s F4: Rise of the Silver Surfer. There’s such an opportunity to make him a devourer of worlds and therefore, a major threat to the MCU.
- The X-men, as now that Marvel owns Fox, it was really just a matter of time until they came in. As well as the original cast, they could still include Channing Tatum as Gambit. Maybe even branch it into an X-Force movie to counter DC’s Suicide Squad.
- Deadpool as basically a cameo character who comes in whenever they need a swear word or fourth wall break. Perhaps he could be the new Stan Lee?
- The Fantastic Four. Introducing them into the world of Doctor Strange would also introduces a plethora of villains such as Doctor Doom, The Super Skrull and Kang the Conquerer. All of which have been established in previous Marvel films over various properties.
- Howard the Duck is also canon so maybe give him his own movie? I don’t think he’ll be in the film, but I want him to get the appreciation he deserves. Maybe even a TV series.
With Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness boasting the highest roster of a Marvel movie to date. It’s hard not to be excited for it’s debut later in 2022. One thing is for certain, regardless of whether the film is good or not it’s almist certain to be successful and it will open up the Marvel universe to so many new and interesting characters.