Thor and Captain Marvel are undoubtedly two of the strongest characters in the entire Marvel Universe – both in Marvel comics and the MCU. They both have their own uniquely special attributes and abilities but is Captain Marvel stronger than Thor? Let’s take a look at the evidence.
Captain Marvel vs Thor
The short answer is no, Captain Marvel is not stronger than Thor. In Marvel comics, the Asgardian is infinitely stronger than Carol Danvers. As for the MCU, it’s not very clear but assuming their strength levels are somewhat equal, that still makes Thor the clear victor overall.
Thor’s power comes from his bloodline as an Asgardian God. As the son of the powerful All-Father Odin, Thor was born with incredible powers including strength, speed and durability. Thor is also the God of Thunder, meaning he is also able to wield lightning at will. Something we’ve seen him do on the big screen on numerous occasions. His hammer Mjolnir also gives Thor a medium in which to channel all of this incredible power.
How strong is Thor then? Let’s take a look at some examples to find out:
- In the comic Thor: God of Thunder, Thor is able to defeat Gorr the God Butcher, who had previously defeated and killed multiple gods from various pantheons.
- In The Mighty Thor, Thor is able to defeat Galactus, a being who is often depicted as one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel universe and is able to consume entire planets.
- Thor #337 shows that Thor is able to defeat the entire Asgardian army, which is made up of powerful gods and warriors, by himself.
- In The Avengers #4, Thor is able to defeat the Hulk, who is one of the strongest characters in the Marvel universe.
- In Thor #126, Thor is able to lift and wield Mjolnir with one hand while simultaneously lifting the Midgard Serpent, a giant mythical serpent, with the other hand.
- Thor #382 shows that Thor is able to defeat the giant demon Surtur, who is capable of destroying Asgard and other realms.
- In Thor #700, Thor battles and defeats Galactus and his heralds, who are the most powerful cosmic entities in the universe.
Captain Marvel Powers
Unlike Thor, Carol Danvers didn’t have her powers from birth. In Marvel comics Captain Marvel got her powers after being exposed to radiation from a Kree weapon called Psyche-Magnetron. However in the MCU it’s a little different. The Tesseract is the source of her powers in the movies after she is exposed to an explosion of an engine powered by the infinity stone.
How strong is Captain Marvel then? Let’s take a look at some examples of her powers:
- Captain Marvel can absorb the power of a nuke and dish that energy out in turn.
- Captain Marvel has served at every level of the military from trainee to commander of the combined Earth defenses meaning she’s experienced in military tactics and thinking.
- Carol Danvers is hundreds of times quicker than the speed of sound according to The Mighty Captain Marvel #1
- Captain Marvel can lift 200 tons (or 400,000 pounds) when in binary form.
Who is stronger – Captain Marvel or Thor?
While Captain Marvel is incredibly strong, her feats of strengths simply do not match up to Thor. But to fair, there are not many characters than can. The God of Thunder has also been around for a couple thousand years more than Carol Danvers. So who knows? Maybe Captain Marvel will prove us wrong in 5,000 years time.