Adamantium vs Vibranium. They are two of the strongest metals in the entire Marvel Universe but which is stronger Adamantium or Vibranium?
Adamantium vs Vibranium
The short answer is that Adamantium is much stronger than Vibranium. It’s really not even close.
Proto-Adamantium is the original and strongest version of Adamantium and is virtually indestructible. It has only ever been damaged or destroyed on five occassions. By:
- Doctor Doom using the powers of The Beyonder
- Thanos using the Infinity Gauntlet
- Molecule Man manipulating matter
- Thor using Odin-Force
- Serpent using the power of fear from the world’s population
Vibranium on the other hand is not quite as strong. Native to Wakanda, Vibranium is able to absorb large amounts of vibrations. It also has the ability to store kinetic energy which can then be unleashed all in one blast. So while it may not be as strong as Adamantium, Vibranium definitely has more uses.
In Marvel comics Wolverine’s claws (made from True Adamantium) have cut through Black Panther’s suit (made from Wakandan Vibranium). Making Adamantium the clear winner.
How strong is Adamantium then?
So now that we’ve established that Adamantium is stronger than Vibranium, the question remains, how strong is it exactly? The substance which is most well known as the metal that makes up Wolverine’s claws has displayed some incredible feats of strength over the years in Marvel comics.
- Adamantium is capable of surviving multiple nuclear blasts.
- An Adamantium blade is capable of cutting through almost every known substance. Captain America’s shield being the only known exception.
- The US government tested Adamantium by having Iron Man and Thor release their full power on it. They duo concluded that the substance is indeed indestructible.
Why Wolverine’s claws can’t cut through Captain America’s shield
As we previously mentioned, Captain America‘s shield is the only known substance that Adamantium cannot cut through. Here’s the reason why.
In Marvel comics Cap’s shield is made of a unique Vibranium-metal alloy that has never been recreated. In fact, even it’s creator, Dr. Myron MacLain, was unable to identify some unknown factor that played a role in it’s creation.
This mysterious make-up has meant Captain America’s shield is one of a kind and cannot be duplicated. It is due to it’s alloy-based make up that makes Cap’s shield unbreakable against Adamantium.